Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fairy Tales

When I think about my childhood and fairy tales it is hard to assess the impact that these stories may have had on me then, and how these effects may have molded me into what I am today. I remember growing up watching the Disney version of all the popular stories such as Peter Pan. I was always more excited by the action type films and stories. I grew up with one older brother and we were active in sports and loved the outdoors so I think that may be why the stories of adventure and action appealed to me. With all fairy tales having some occurrence of magic I think that the prospect of another world enchanted with the supernatural was fun to think about and fun to be absorbed in while watching a movie. To a child this world that is shown to them is possible. Yes they may know that realistically the things that they are seeing cannot happen, but at a younger age it is acceptable and encouraged to dream and believe. These stories are the inspiration for children running around pretending they are flying or pointing sticks at each other and casting spells. Fairy tales offer children a chance to be someone that they cannot be in the real world. They can talk to animals and conspire on adults who are oblivious to the magical workings of the fairy tale world.
Being what I consider as a practical person, I don't think that fairy tales enhanced my imagination. I have never been a dreamer. What I do think that fairy tales did for me was to help provide for a naturally happy and fun childhood. Fairy tales are in general very light and good spirited. There are no bad endings where the hero of the story fails. One may think that this may be a very insignificant contribution to a life, but I think that being happy and having a magical place for your mind to go to as a child can make all the difference. Doesn't it seem that many of the people who turn out to be troubled in some way have had, if not traumatic, generally unhappy childhoods? Not to suggest that happy children never turn out bad, but I would guess that statistics show that happier children tend to lead better lives. I would also mention that fairy tales are not the key to a happy childhood, just that in my past they may have been one piece of that happiness. I think the purpose, to teach a lesson, of fairy tales may take root in some people and may have taken root in me. However at such a young age when these stories appeal to children it is hard to determine what you have learned that applies to real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment